Sunday, July 7, 2013

Cakes and Tractors

Travis and I have been developing new talents.
His mom had a great idea to send Colton (Travis' brother)
a birthday cake down in Texas where he's serving a mission.
So we volunteered to help.
We decided it would be best if we used
fondant...maybe it would make it in the mail if we did that.
Rule for fondant: if you don't know what you're
doing, ask a professional FIRST.
Now we know.

This was our practice attempt.
We could not get the red to look like red.
And don't even ask about the black.
Cute, right?

We tried again...this time using a whole tube
of red and black.
This is what we got.

I went to the craft store to look around.
While there I decided to do what I should've done
from the beginning. I called my Aunt Kim who
is awesome at decorating cakes.
She informed me that we should be using a paste.
Worked like a dream. 


 The finished product.
 Much better.
Still have plenty of practice, but not bad for our first 
and second time with fondant.
 We froze it and sent it in the mail and supposedly it made
it there in one piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment